Friday, July 22, 2016

So You Wanna Hear About The End

Just got back from lunch with all of the host moms and students for our final goodbye and end of the program. It's a little weird to get thrown together with a bunch of people you've never met before, but then to find yourself pretty attached to those people after only 5 weeks. One of the girls in my class is leaving tonight, and then the rest of us will being leaving starting tomorrow. I'm here until Sunday, but for the most part my times here pretty much over. I'm gonna go out tonight to watch a movie and probably get some food later with some people, but I still don't really know how to feel about being on this end of the trip. I don't know if 5 weeks is long enough to be able to say I lived in México as opposed to saying I only visited, but I definitely feel like this place started to feel like home a little. Definitely ready to go back to my real home, but I'm really gonna miss this place when I leave. Whether its the ability to go out to one of the plazas and go listen to music or get some sweet bread at 7 a.m., life here's been pretty fun. School was kinda dumb, but I think I did learn a lot in the end. Won't miss getting up at 6 every day, but I will miss the friends I made here. My quirky host family was a lot of fun too. In the end, it's a bit of a bittersweet end to a really fun time.

Got a really good farmer's tan line, an even better watch tan line, and got more mosquito bites than I ever could have imagined, but most importantly I think I feel a lot better about my confidence in Spanish. I for sure have a lot more work to do, and I don't think I'll ever be perfect, but I've made a ton a progress. Words come out of my mouth when I'm speaking that I don't necessarily know where from, and I haven't translated what people say to me into english in my head in forever, the words just have meaning to me just as they are. I think I've almost gotten rid of my English speaking accent, though that'll probably stick around forever no matter what, and I still can't roll my r's that well, but I'm still satisfied. I still want to learn more, and I'm still having a ton of fun trying to get better. Even though sometimes there's a lot of awkward misunderstandings, it's an exciting trip.

Given my arrival here was fairly eventful due to who I am as a person I'll likely do something that'll make life difficult as I try to make it back home, so I'll probably post about that whenever that happens, but for the most part all the exciting stuff has already gone down. Thanks for following along if you did, and since the Internet is forever, you can even go back and look at the stuff you missed if you did! I started being able to grow a tiny bit of facial hair on my chin while I was here, but don't worry I'm still for the most part recognizable. Hopefully see some of you guys soon!

There really wasn't anything cool out there, I was just looking out for the picture
Squad up at Frida's




No comments:

Post a Comment